During my winter break I had time to experiment with new lunch recipes, including this stuffed portobello mushroom. I found it in a weight watchers cook book and it has now become one of my favorite lunches. The meal is actually so filling it’s hard to believe it’s only 300 calories!
- 2 portobello mushroom caps
- 1 link Italian turkey sausage
- 4 oz canned artichoke hearts; drained and sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion; diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper; diced
- 1 Tbsp seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut off mushroom stems and remove the veins. Place in baking dish, bottoms up, and bake for 10 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add sausage, artichoke hearts, onion, and pepper; sauté for about 5 minutes, or until sausage is browned.
- Mix in bread crumbs and 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese.
- Top each mushroom with sausage mixture. Return to oven for another 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the parmesan to the top of each mushroom; return to oven for about 1 minute or until cheese has melted. (makes 2 servings)