My grandmother always makes this as a side salad with our holiday dinners, but it is so delicious that I often find myself wishing it was the main course. Finally, after years of drooling over this salad (yes, it is possible to drool over a salad) I was able to get my hands on the recipe. Now it has become one of my favorite lunches. Believe me when I say, this salad is so good you will want to eat it for dessert.
I will typically make a batch of the roasted pecans ahead of time so I can quickly whip up the rest of the salad whenever I so choose.
For the Spiced Pecans
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamin
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 cups pecan halves
For the Salad (serving: 4 side salads or 2 lunches)
- 1 cup spiced pecans
- 2 apples, diced
- 2 Tbsp feta cheese
- green leaf lettuce
- 1 Tbsp sherry wine vinegar
- 1/2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup lite olive oil
- Pinch granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 300º F. Grease two large baking sheets.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add brown sugar, water, salt and spices; stir until sugar dissolves. Add nuts to sugar mixture and cook until syrup thickly coats nuts, stirring frequently; about 5 minutes.
- Transfer nuts to prepared baking sheets. Bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Cool. (store in airtight container)
- In a small bowl, add sherry, dijon, olive oil and sugar; stir until combined.
- In a salad bowl, add lettuce, apple slices, feta and dressing. Toss until evenly coated.
- Divide evenly among 4 side plates (or two lunch plates). Top each salad with spiced pecans.
This salad costs about $9.00 total or $2.25 per side salad. OR $4.50 for an amazing lunch.
If you’re looking for a healthy green lunch this salad will leave you full and satisfied. A lunch serving is around 375 calories with 266 from fat.
Here is a further breakdown:
Calories 375; Total Fat 30g (Saturated 4.8g, Polyunsaturated 7.6g, Monounsaturated 13g); Cholesterol 9.8mg; Sodium 453mg; Total Carbs 26g (Dietary Fiber 6.4g, sugars 19g); Protein 5g; Vitamin A 39%; Vitamin C 34%; Calcium 5%; Iron 14%
- Cranberry Pecan Salad (cookingincolombia.wordpress.com)
- Maple-Dijon Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad with Pecans and Cranberries & Cookbook Giveaway! (tastespace.wordpress.com)