During a trip to Sienna, Italy I was told I HAD to try their notorious almond cookies. It took just one bite for me to fall in love with these sweet melt-in-your-mouth cookies, and now, months later, I have found myself craving these sweet pastries again. This recipe is my best attempt at recreating Sienna’s much loved cookies. While admittedly they aren’t the same cookies I enjoyed in a small Italian cafe, they are dangerously delicious.
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup butter
- 2/3 cup shortening (softened)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 2 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- coarse sugar (for coating cookies)
- Preheat oven to 350º F and prepare baking sheets.
- Using electric beaters or stand mixer, beat together sugar, butter, and shortening until creamy. Stir in eggs and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl mix together cake flour, all purpose flour, corn starch, and salt. Gradually add dry mixture to butter mixture, stirring until thoroughly combined.
- Chill dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll 1/2 Tbsp of dough into a ball and roll in raw sugar. Place dough balls on baking sheets and bake for 7 minutes (do NOT over cook). Remove cookies from oven and gently flatten cookies with the back of a spoon while they are still warm. Place cookies on cooling and allow to cool completely before serving.
At first glance these may appear as more expensive cookies because of less common ingredients, like cake flour and almond extract. However, after crunching some numbers I was amazed to find that this entire batch of about 125 cookies only cost around $6.00! That’s only 5 cents per cookie! So go ahead, buy the almond extract and cake flour so you can make these delicious little morsels…if you don’t like the cookies (which I doubt will happen) and you are looking for something else to use the ingredients then I suggest putting the ingredients into these Blackberry Pie Bars.
Serving Size = 2 cookies
Calories 118; Cals from Fat 56; Total Fat 6.2 g (Saturated 2.5 g; Polyunsaturated o.1 g; Monounsaturated 0.7 g; Trans 1.3 g); Cholestorol 16 mg; Sodium 3.1 mg; Potassium 6.6 mg; Total Carbohydrates 15 g (Dietary Fiber 0.4 g; Sugar 6.1 g); Protein 1.4 g