I love gyros, but they can be very fattening and expensive. My solution? Make my own healthy version! Now I will admit these aren’t as satisfying as an authentic lamb gyro from Wally’s in Dinkytown, Minnesota, but they are still very good.
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 regular cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper
For the Chicken
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (one lemon)
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Pita bread (4 pieces)
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Red onion, sliced very thin
- Shred cucumber or chop it in a food processor. Wrap in a towel and squeeze to remove as much water as possible. Mix together, the yogurt, shredded cucumber, garlic, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with olive oil. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until ready to serve.
- To prepare the chicken, combine the garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, yogurt, oregano, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk together until well mixed. Add the chicken to the bowl and mix well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat a grill and set to medium-high. Grill the chicken 4 minutes per side or until fully cooked. Transfer to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut into strips.
- Heat pitas according to package directions. Top with Tzatziki sauce, chicken, tomatoes, and onions and enjoy!
If you were to purchase a chicken gyro at Dino’s Gyros it would cost you $6.50. How much did it cost me to make this entire recipe? $6.42! That means if I were to walk down the street to Dino’s Gyros to purchase one gyro I would be spending more than what it costs me to make 4 of my own gyros. That, my friends, is a frugal dinner.
- Design Mom’s Fresh Tzatziki Recipe (potterybarnkids.com)
- Slow-Cooker Sunday: Gyros (pintertesting.com)
- chicken gyros (experimentalhousewife.com)