After purchasing a box of Raisin Bran cereal, my mom decided she really didn’t like Raisin Bran. So she challenged me to find a way to use the raisin bran in a recipe. I was a little leary of the concept of baking cereal into muffins, but it actually turned out really well! These muffins are really moist and would be perfect for a healthy snack or quick breakfast.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Raisin Bran Cereal
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400° F and line muffin tins with paper liners or cooking spray
- Sift the flour, baking soda and salt
- In a large bowl, mix the sifted mixture with the cereal and milk. Let stand for at least 3 minutes
- Stir in the egg, applesauce, butter, and sugar.
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full. It will make about 16 muffins.
- In a small bowl, mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar mixture over the muffins.
- Bake at 400°F for 18 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely on a wire rack, and enjoy!