I have returned home for the summer and that means I finally have access to a grill! Tonight my mom and I made one of our favorites, Chicken Queso Burgers. These burgers are packed with flavor and practically melt in your mouth. The original recipe came from Emeril Lagasse, however, we have made a few twists to bump up the flavor.
Sauté onions, olive oil and cumin to spread on the buns
Don’t forget to grill the buns after spreading the onion mixture on each half
I love to see those grill marks! You can make these burgers on the stove top, but it just isn’t the same
(makes 4 servings)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup, shredded cheddar cheese
- 4-ounce can minced green chiles, drained
- 3 teaspoons Mrs. Renfros Green Salsa
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 + 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 lb ground lean chicken
- 1/2 lb ground sirloin (my addition, this makes the burgers less sticky and makes grilling easier)
- 1/3 cup fine unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped and divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 hamburger buns (we use onion buns, but whole grain buns work well too)
- Tomato, sliced
- Avocado, sliced (my addition, the avocado adds so much flavor and makes the burgers taste really fresh)
- Light Mayonaise (as a condiment)
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cheese, 1/3 of the chopped onions, chiles, oregano, 3/4 teaspoons chili powder, cumin, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Add the ground chicken, sirloin, and breadcrumbs and mix until well blended. (This recipe is good with just ground chicken, but it can make grilling difficult)
- Divide the mixture into 4 portions and shape into 1 inch patties. Lay the patties on 4 individual pieces of waxed paper (this makes grilling easier so you can simply flip the patties one-by-one onto the grill). Refrigerate patties until ready to cook
- Combine the rest of the onion, olive oil, 3/4 teaspoons chili powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a pan. Sauté until the onions are soft.
- Brush onions on the insides of the buns.
- Grill the burgers over direct medium heat for 4 minutes per side. Helpful hint: spray each side of the patties with cooking spray rather than the grill. This helps a lot in preventing the burgers from sticking to the grill and falling apart.
- Grill the buns for about 2 minutes or until lightly toasted
- Prepare your burger! Spread mayo on one side of the bun and top the burger with avocado slices and a slice of tomato