I have been so anxious to share my first post that I went forth and baked something simply for this momentous occasion. Luckily I happened to have all of the ingredients for my all time favorite muffins!
I am extremely particular when it comes to bananas. I know it’s strange, but I prefer to eat bananas when they are closer to green than when they are truly ripened. Because of this, my bananas have a short shelf life. However, as a frugal foodie, I cringe at the thought of throwing away food and so I opt to freeze my “leopard bananas” until a later use.
Today I decided to make my frozen bananas into a childhood favorite, Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. These muffins are super easy and delicious, and if you’re an avid baker like myself, you likely have all of the ingredients sitting in your cupboards.
- 3-4 large ripened Bananas
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/3 cup melted Butter
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp salt (sometimes I use less if I’m using salted butter)
- 1 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (optional, but highly recommended)
- Mash bananas
- Add sugar and slightly beaten egg. Stir with a spoon or whisk until thoroughly mixed.
- Add the melted butter and stir until thoroughly mixed
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. (I like to sift my dry ingredients first)
- Add dry ingredients to banana mixture and stir until it is mixed thoroughly. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin tins that have been lined with paper muffin liners or greased with cooking spray. Then bake at 375 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until the tops of the muffins are a golden brown.
- Place the muffins on a wire cooling rack and let them cool for at least five minute before eating
This recipe makes about 16 to 18 muffins depending on how big you make them. I like my muffins on the bigger side so I usually only get 16 muffins out of a batch. Once my muffins have cooled completely, I like to freeze them in a ziplock freezer bag. This keeps them from getting stale too quickly and prevents me from eating them in two days. When I’m ready to eat one I simply thaw it in the microwave for about 20 to 30 seconds (just so the chocolate chips are slightly melted) and enjoy the ooey gooey deliciousness.